Saturday, March 10, 2012

Ch. 11 - My Name is Ellie

So my name is Ellie Evans. Why should you remember that? Because I’m mostly likely twice as smart as you, twice as adorable, and even if you decide you’re going to hate me... you’ll still do exactly what I want when I want it. If you can’t deal with that then my story is not for you. 



I live on an island with my mom, my dad, and the rest of my extended family. Including five cousins. Way too many if you ask me. I mean, my family has four kids already (although only my brother and I really “count”) and the only time I get to spend alone is when I am out exploring.




Being outside in nature... it’s something that always brings a smile to my face. Bugs, my dad’s garden, the ocean breeze that carries the smell of smoke from the mainland. Everything just has just such a special place in my heart (less so that last point). 




Oh shoot. Dad just reminded me, I have to introduce you to my family! I’m sure you’re already bored of my dad (All he ever does is talk about how awesome he is. I am not even joking), but you probably haven’t met my best friend Jennifer. I call her Jenny and here she is talking to Wesley Vasquez from down the street. 




Wesley was born on the island just like me. His parents are Mei and Diego, the owners of the consignment store across the street (behind his big head!).




I like having time to myself, so Jenny spends most of her time with him now. I honestly don’t mind. Unlike my brother and Diva I really don’t need to have my best friend within arms distance 24/7. 




Speaking of my brother and Diva...




Dad would kill them if he knew HALF of the stuff they did while he was out fishing. 




Lets just say that it includes closed doors, and “rubbers” for some reason. But whenever I ask cousin Clementine about woo-hoo she just turns bright red and changes the subject. Teenagers are weird.




Unfortunately for me, I’m turning into one today.




Well, this is me as a teenager. Not too convinced on this whole “growing up” business to be honest with you.




It didn’t help that dad got a phone call half way through the party and then just left without saying anything to anyone. But with him thats normal.




Oh right, Jenny grew up too. Wesley’s a bit younger than us so after she became a teen he was the only child left in the house.




It wasn’t until after the party had settled down and I was throwing out the garbage that I ran into dad returning from wherever. 




He seemed distracted. Agitated judging by the twitching muscles in his face and constant need to look up at the hill behind our house. 
“You didn’t hear anything, did you? Can’t see it from here either... last time they screwed up the machine and scared the island half to death. All fixed now.”




Have I mentioned that my dad is insane? Cause he totally is. Or that's what I thought, at least. But he just laughed at the look on my face and told me to follow him up the hill.




It was dark, and the building was far off, but I could still make out the large towers in the distance. I just had no idea what it was, or how it had gotten here.




“It’s our new science laboratory.” My father explained once I voiced my questions. “The General wants me to use my knowledge of the island to discover what I can, and I needed space and the proper materials. It was delivered during your party by this hovering contraption the mainland has access to.”
The mainland? A general? What the bloody hell?
“I have a story to tell you, princess.” My pet name. The one I hated. “Its not a nice story, but you need to hear it. But if you do you’ll have to take over for me as this island’s Guardian. Do you think you’re ready for that kind of a burden?”




I wanted to tell him that I couldn’t be sure... but I already was. The moment he used the word Guardian a warm feeling enveloped me, as if I was being cradled in my mother’s arms once again. It made me feel safe, and good, and I knew it was the island asking me to say yes to my father. 
One look in his face told me that he felt nothing. The island hadn’t wanted him, but it had been forced to accept him. It wanted me, and I was old enough to have a fighting chance at understanding. I had no choice in the matter, really.
“Tell me what I’m missing, dad. I’ll accept whatever you can throw at me.”



---

I had originally wanted "The Island" to pick each heir instead of the previous heir, but then Ginger had only one green baby so I had to postpone that plot point until now. It'll be more important later (For example, if the previous heir picks someone the island does not approve of). But thats not happening this generation.

Oh and Boyden and Gwen's daughter has been a teen for a while but I never really went to check her out. And when I did... well... doesn't she look like Mary Margaret from Once Upon A Time? (Yes I watch it. >< It's gooood!)


1 comment:

  1. I like the idea that the island picks the guardian. It could have disastrous effects later down the line when someone takes over that is not approved. Also, Ellie is adorable. She's so sassy! Love it.

    OMG! She does look like Mary Margaret! Yes, I watch Once Upon A Time too and you're right, it's a great show! I seriously want to hit the evil queen in the face....with a chair. =] Lol.

    ReplyDelete